Wednesday 8 October 2014

Spiced blackberry and apple jam

I have a freezer full of beautiful blackberries picked at the height of ripeness from the allotment.  They are so delicious, but I struggle eating them.  They are nicest warm from the sun straight from the blackberry plant, or cooked in baked goods.  I am "supposed" to be doing slimming world.  It is not working at the moment, but I have been resisting making baked goods recently, so all of the blackberries ended up in the freezer.  Last year I made some yummy blackberry gin for Christmas presents, but this year I am sewing gifts.  It is, however, my niece's first birthday on Sunday, and we are having a tea party at my sister's house.  Mum has made 6 dozen scones, and so I offered to make a couple of trifles and some jam.  There is something special about homemade jam.  It is always so much nicer than shop bought.

500g blackberries
500g chopped peeled apple (reserve peel and cores)
1000g of caster sugar
a good amount of cinnamon.
A tiny drop of water

Pop blackberries and apple in a big old pan (I use my pressure cooker pan) with a tiny dribble of water just to stop the fruit burning before the juice is released.  Stir every now and again and cook out for about 40 minutes of so.  Whilst this is going put reserved apple peel and cores in a pan with a pint of water (approx).  Boil and boil and boil, then sieve the remaining liquid that has not cooked off, and put in the jam.  This is basically apple pectin and will help the jam to set.  Add sugar and stir repeatedly.  Add cinnamon.  I always put loads in because I am a cinnamon fiend, and I find it cuts the sweetness slightly.  Leave to cook for another 15/20 minutes of so  whilst sterilising the jars.  I tend to wash in soapy water, and then put them in the oven for 20 minutes of so on 150c, and have never had a problem.  Decant jam into jam jars and put lids on.  Leave to cool.  It made 4 full jam jars, and 1 half jam jar that was sampled for breakfast this morning - delicious.

So that is 17 remaining jars of jam in the shed for the winter.  Most of which were made with homegrown produce.  Happy.

Now I need to contemplate trifle recipes.  I am going to make a "normal" one with cake, jelly, fruit, custard and cream on top, and an "alternative" on.  I found a black forest trifle on pinterest, which will use up a few more blackberries.  But I also saw a caramel apple trifle as well which I think sounds nice too.  That one is a spice cake of some kind, a load of stewed apple, a tin of caramel (or condensed milk turned into caramel), custard, cream and decorated with cinder toffee.  I rather thought that one would be very seasonal and a bit different!!!,  We shall see.  The diet isn't going well though!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment