Monday 7 April 2014

Potatoes

We are moving house.  NEXT WEEK!!!!!  Very exciting and daunting.  We have so much to do and very little time in which to do it.  After the disaster of selling our house in London a few years ago and moving up here, we ended up in a flat owned by my parents.  It has been fine, and definitely helped us out when we needed it, but now it is time to move on.  Most excitingly it is an actual house.  We have never lived in an actual house.  And we will have a back yard.  I am so excited.  We will have a large kitchen and a space for herbs and I may even grow tomatoes in the back yard.  So brilliant!!!
So this weekend my only job at the allotment was planting potatoes.  They have been chitting for a number of weeks, but could have done with a couple more weeks really, but I don't suppose it really matters.  I don't want to move them because they may be damaged, and I think we have enough to do without making special arrangements for the transportation of well chitted seed potatoes.  So we have 10 maris pipers, and 26 desiree reds.  Very excited about potatoes.  Last year I was ill and left the planting up to my husband.  But, love him though I do, unless it is to do with random nonsense on the internet he is not terribly interested.  So it was done fast...and not terribly well.  Infact of the 20 seed potatoes planted last year we only managed to harvest 18 potatoes.  It didn't go well.  This year will be better.  Although I think the slugs didn't help last year.  I may have to be a little more severe with the slugs this year!!!!
The allotment is growing well.  The broad beans seem to be doing well, and we have sprouting garlic and the onions are growing well.  We have some lettuce and radish growing nicely, and some broccoli doing nicely.  But we are at the stage where I am not sure if things are weeds or seedlings.  I think I may wait another couple of weeks before weeding anymore just in case!!!.

No comments:

Post a Comment