Thursday 24 April 2014

Planting squashes

What a busy day!!!  I spent nap time this morning digging out the weeds from the one bed I have in my back yard.  I did have to don the marigolds for the nettles, but got it under control reasonably quickly, and then planted the herbs.  I know have a very tidy looking herb bed.  And O found a plastic "deep-sea diver" toy that another child had buried.  He was very happy with that!!!.

All of the squashes are planted now too.  I was going to go to the allotment this evening, but time got away from me.  I pricked out the tomato seedings, and managed to get them down to 7 healthy looking seedlings.  I also planted all of the squash seeds.  No idea where on earth I am going to put them yet, but there you go!!!  3 crystal lemon cucumbers, 2 uchiki kuri, 2 honey bear, 2 marrow, 3 pumpkin, 3 butternut, 2 spaghetti squash and a couple of other that I can't remember,  are all planted in pots ready to go.  I am feeling very excited by this, but seriously - Where are they all going to go?  They spread for miles.  Okay, maybe not miles, but far!!!  I have dug a bed for them, but it is no where near large enough.  I suppose if enough of my other crops fail I can pop them in that space.  Better to have too many than not enough.  My knowledge of how to grow squashes is limited.  For example, how many butternut squashes can you expect from 1 plant.  Courgettes grow loads because they are constantly harvested, so it won't be the same principle.  I suppose I shall find out come September!!!  How exciting!!!

So tomorrows mission is to buy more plant pots.  I have 4 different varieties of courgette to plant!!!  Seriously, the supermarket is so boring.  Who only wants 1 variety of courgette?  Not me.  If my ratatouille has anything less than 2 different types of courgette in it then I am not interested!!!.  A new principle perhaps, but still sound I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment