Monday 5 January 2015

First trip of the 2015

Yesterday morning I went to the allotment.  Just me and my puppy.  It was icy cold, but I managed to harvest some sprouts, some parsnips and some carrots, all of which were used for dinner.  It was too cold for much digging, but there is plenty to do.  I was happy to think about where we were last year, flooded, smushy mud, only a couple of beds worth doing anything with.  Hopeless!!  And we have achieved so much in this last year!!

So my thoughts are starting to turn to this year.  I think I am going to get some asparagus crowns, and a couple more rhubarb.  But I don't think I am going to bother with potatoes.  I have tried a few times, and I always end up spending more money on seed potatoes than I seem to get back in potatoes.

I am getting very exciting.  Now if we could only get a couple of days without ice or rain and I could get on with some digging.  But I have time yet!!

The new shoots on the overwintering garlic and onions made me leave the allotment with a giant smile on my face though!!!  Definitely a fan of allotment-therapy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment